I have been so inspired by quirky posts and YouTube videos like this that figured that I may actually be quirky enough to share the things many people might consider essential that I just don’t buy any more OR only buy occasionally in my new life as a Mama…
This is something I RARELY buy Because…
- They can be expensive.
- Having less clothes is easier to manage.
- I hate shopping for clothes for myself when I am looking for something specific.
- I have a selection of my favourite things I wear all the time so why do I need more?
- I want to get out of that materialistic mindset of needing something new for every new season or occasion- I don’t care if I’m seen in the same thing at every event.
2. make-up & Nails stuff
I NEVER buy this (and haven’t for years) Because…
- I hate putting it on and I’m rubbish at doing it!
- It’s bad for my skin and feels uncomfortable.
- It feels unnatural.
- It’s another expense…
- I could never be bothered with it.
- It always ended up smeared all over my face or smudged.
- It’s a material thing.
3. Hair or Skin products
I RARELY buy these Because…
- I use soap bars for shampoo and body wash and they last months!
- They are SO £££!
- I don’t need them- I wash my hair and body- that’s all I need to do.
- I use coconut oil and aloe vera plant for pretty much everything else.
4. laundry detergent
I RARELY buy this (like maybe once a year) Because…
- SOAP NUTS – a natural and eco-friendly alternative.
- I need something for baby and sensitive skin.
- That’s it- Soap Nuts pretty much solves everything…
I NEVER drink alcohol at home or out Because…
- Both me and my husband don’t really like it.
- £££ cha-ching!
- A pointless expense in my opinion.
- We bed share with our son and need to ensure we do so safely.
- I hate the feeling of being intoxicated.
- I drive pretty much everywhere.
6. disposable nappies
This is quite a new one, but my new stash of cloth nappies will see that I NEVER have to buy these ever again! So here are my (rather hippy) reasons why…
- The affordable ones are non-biodegradable- therefore killing the planet.
- Again, the affordable ones are full of nasty chemicals.
- Less nappy rash with cloth.
- We use EC (early potty training) so less nappy changes are needed, therefore less wasteful with a missed pee in a cloth nappy as it is washed and not thrown away!
- Cloth nappies are cute! (Bit of a material reason but it just had to be said!)
7. Shaving gel/ hair removal cream
- I just use soap and a razor.
8. PAIN KILLERS/ medical drugs
Something we definitely NEVER buy because...
- I am a firm believer in Eastern medicine and natural remedies.
- I like to be able to listen to my body and work out why I’m in pain.
- I have a high pain threshold.
9. Cable tv & dvds
After the big minimalist project back in November, this is now a NEVER expense because…
- We don’t watch anything on TV
- We only store DVDs we really love and would find difficult to buy on PlayStation or are not on Netflix.
- We don’t listen to the news or “celebrity gossip”.
- Basically we get all our entertainment from the PS4.
10. ready meals & fast food
This is a RARELY or occasional buy Because…
- They have pretty much 0 nutritional value.
- It’s cheaper and healthier to cook from scratch.
- They usually taste bland!
- They don’t fill you up.
- Ethical reasons.
I hope you enjoyed this post and do share the things you don’t buy- you don’t have to be a minimalist!